Abufeira is one of the most popular holiday towns in Portugal, located in the southernmost part of the country, in the Algarve province. It is not only a city, but also the most famous seaside resort of the Algarve. This city is the place to be for a special holiday. Albufeira has beautiful beaches, many sights, wonderful excursions, nice shops and a rich nightlife for young and old. It is the most touristic city in this region.
Albufeira is a municipality in the district in Faro that contains a number of small municipalities, including the city of the same name. The towns of Guia, Ferreiras, Olhos d’Aqua and Paderne also fall under the municipality of Albufeira. The city of Albufeira, built against the rocky coast, used to be a fishing village, but has now become a tourist attraction, partly due to its location on the Atlantic Ocean. The Arabs gave this city the name Albuhera which means castle of the ocean. From 1960 onwards, more and more tourists came to this city and Albufeira was given city rights in 1986. Fortunately, you still encounter the characteristics of the fishing village, such as the colorful fishing boats and nets, which you still encounter every now and then. But the characteristic appearance of the houses has also been preserved over the years.
The two areas in Albufeira where many tourists come are the new part of the city, especially the strip and the old center. The strip is a very long street in the new part of the city and here you will find several cafes, cocktail bars, discos and restaurants. In the older part you will find a number of bars and clubs, such as the party café Bloopers. These two areas are approximately 3 kilometers apart. It will take you about half an hour to 45 minutes to walk, but you can also arrange a taxi to take you from one place to another.
In and around Albufeira there are many different bars and discos, such as bars with live music, karaoke and bars where you can dance. Most discos do not allow entry before 1am and they stay open until sunrise. If you want to enjoy the nightlife, Albufeira is the right place. Some occasions are:
- Feestcafé Bloopers is part of a travel organization especially for young people (Beachmasters) and originally a Dutch café. It is located in the middle of the old center of Albufeira, hidden between the cozy old alleys. Every night this café is open until 04:00. The staff is Dutch and most Dutch tourists can be found here.
- Bar Twist is located close to party café Bloopers and is well visited by tourists every evening. There is a cozy atmosphere and the bar staff, together with the DJs and a live band, create a festive atmosphere with fun and entertainment. Different styles of music are played, so it is suitable for everyone.
- Another Dutch party café is Celebrations , which can be found in a side street of the strip. This café also has Dutch staff, plays a lot of Dutch music and thus focuses specifically on Dutch tourists.
- Wild & Co is a bar-restaurant that can be found at the beginning of the strip and is an absolute must if you are on holiday in Albufeira. In this bar it feels like you are entering an American saloon or an Irish pub. On the ground floor is the bar and above the bar is a restaurant overlooking the sea. At the beginning of the evening there is live music in the bar and various music performances by different artists. If you like to see dancing ladies on the bar, then you should go to wild & co. Later in the evening there will be a DJ and if you want to order a cocktail, you will receive a free show from the bartenders. The people who come there are of different nationalities.
- The Kiss Club discotheque is one of the oldest discos in Albufeira and is very well known. This disco has three dance floors with house, hip-hop and techno music. There are always many guest performances here by famous Dutch people and DJs and you can also encounter many Dutch tourists here. It always gets very busy here around 3am and the club is open until 7am. You can find this club in a side street of the strip near the Restaurant Wild & Co.
- Fiesta is a modern party club in the old part of the city. This club is known for its theme nights. Every evening different international artists and DJs come and they provide a fun party evening.
- Café Del Mar is located on the strip and is often visited by various international tourists early in the evening. This cafe is located close to other clubs on the strip.
- Garage Bar is a cozy bar to start your party night and where you can dance, sing karaoke or watch football. Every evening there are local DJs who play popular hits and you can also request songs.
- Vegas is an international bar located in the old town of Albufeira. There are regular live performances and there is a cozy and friendly atmosphere. The bar is not very big, there is only room for 120 people, but it is open until early in the morning.
Pescadores Beach / Source: Robiweber, Pixabay
Beaches of Albufeira
Albufeira has several beaches that are extremely well maintained. One beach is accessible by stairs, the other is quite easy to reach from the center. Each beach has its own characteristics:
This beach is located in the old center of Albufeira and is very well maintained. It is a sandy beach with many lifeguards, which is very important for safety. The sea water is very clear and slopes very slowly. After 30 meters it becomes deeper, which is very suitable for families with children. You can rent beds and umbrellas on the beach and there are also several eateries. Showers and toilets are also available on this beach.
Beach do Tunel / Beach Do Peneco
This is another beach in Old Albufeira and is easily accessible from the center via a tunnel. This beach is located in the west of the wide beach of Albufeira. Here you can take a lovely walk to the Gruto do Xorino cave. Rumor has it that the Moors used this cave when Albufeira was conquered in the 13th century. It is worth visiting this cave. There are also several dining options on this beach, as well as showers and toilets. Parasols and beds can be rented and there are several lifeguards around for safety.
One of the most visited beaches in Albufeira. The large hotel Inatel is located on this beach, which is why the beach got this name. It is a busy beach, but not noisy, so you can relax. There are also good walks from this beach and you can view the various caves that lie on the edge of the beach. There is also a restaurant where you can get various tapas and snacks.
Beach dos Alemaes
This beach is located on a calm sea and is surrounded by cliffs. During the day there are lifeguards present for safety and you can also rent sunbeds and parasols on this beach. You can get something to eat at a small bar and there are showers and toilets.
Beach dos Aveiros
This is not a very large beach and is located in a bay of rocks and cliffs. Here you have the opportunity to dive into the sea. This beach is located next to the main beach of Albufeira and you can get there by a staircase that is next to the Auramar hotel. Here too you can rent sunbeds and parasols, and there are showers and toilets on the beach. You can go to the restaurant for a snack and a drink. There are also lifeguards on duty.
Beach da Oura
The main beach of Albufeira, also called the Golden Beach. It is located at the end of the strip, a well-known entertainment spot for young people, who you often encounter on this beach. Here you can dive and windsurf very well. If you want it a little quieter on the beach, it is advisable to walk towards the east at the Pedra dos Bicos hotel, where it is a little quieter. You can also rent sunbeds and parasols on this beach. There are also showers and toilets available (also for the disabled).
Albufeira does not have much to offer when it comes to cultural heritage or other sights. But what the city has is beautiful and special. If you want to see something other than the beach, there are a number of places that are worth a visit. The 1755 earthquake destroyed many buildings, but there are a number of buildings and churches that survived and still look very good. They are definitely worth a visit. These old monuments can all be linked to important events in the history of Portugal or Albufeira and are mainly found in the old part of Albufeira.
There are a number of museums in Albufeira that are open daily in the summer months. Galerie de Arte is a small ceramics museum in Albufeira. The museum is located in the old Power Station and has two floors. Another museum in Albufeira is the archaeological museum in the old town hall. In this museum you can see all the important things from the history of Portugal to the present. There are exhibitions, old texts on paper written by hand and old objects made by hand by the former residents. In this museum you can feel and see the history of the country.
Right in the center of Albufeira is the beautiful Church of Saint Anne from the 18th century, which is open daily. This church is a real landmark of Albufeira because of its old classical forms, typical of that time. The altar in the church is made entirely of wood and designed by the famous Portuguese masters Zhou Baptista and Francisco Javier. But there are also other beautiful wooden statues in this church. There are also beautiful drawings and paintings in the church and there are beautiful wall and ceiling paintings. Next to the church is a statue of Saint Vincent, a Christian martyr. Visiting the São Sebastian Church and Igreja da Matriz is also recommended.
Source: Yellowhorse, Pixabay Boat trips and caves
The coastline of Albufeira is beautiful because of the rugged rock formations that the beaches have and the caves they have. It is very special to visit these caves. There are boat trips that realize this and allow you to sail past the caves, but also enter the caves. Beautiful caves of Albufeira are Ponte Grande, Cerro de Malpique, Lajem do Cónego, Penedo de Peneco and the Cova do Xorino. Rumor has it that the last cave was where the Moors took shelter during the Christian reconquista in the 13th century.
- It is better not to drink the water that comes from the tap in Albufeira. It is advisable to buy bottles of mineral water in the supermarket.
- It may happen that the medicines have a different name than in the Netherlands, so to be sure, take a medicine passport with you, or show the packaging if you have to buy medicines.
- Monte Gordo, a popular seaside resort in Eastern Algarve